Subject: Re: [Leica] 1975, 1976, 1977
From: Daniel Ridings <daniel.ridings@muspro.uio.no>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 08:22:12 +0100 (MET)

My M4 is one of the ones that Leitz was chided to make after making the
decision to stop production of the M4. They built 1000 more for the
American market. Anodized instead of black paint (Wetzlar).

When I think back, the whole thing was stupid. They had just given out the
75 year model of M4 and (I think) M5. Why celebrate something you were
going to dump? Maybe they never intended to dump them.

I was working at a camera store at the time. I don't ever remember news
saying that Leitz was going to discontinue the M series. I only remember
the M4. The M5 was still alive and kicking. I left that world in 1976 so
it might have been afterwards. I wasn't a real good groupie and didn't
follow the gossip very much. (Nice thing about Leicas. I'm still using my
original ones and have yet seen anything to justify "upgrading").

Daniel