Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Digital M
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 20:35:03 -0800

On 2/9/04 8:42 AM, "Frank Filippone" <red735i@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I agree with BD.... It is ONLY a camera.  If Leica goes away tomorrow, there
> are enough cameras and especially lenses around to last me a lifetime.
> Seems harsh?  Well, they supply a good product.  It is something I enjoy
> using.  But I bought it.  I own it.  I do not owe Leica anything, anymore.
> I already paid for the products I own.
>
> Do I want Leica to go down the tubes?  No.  Can I do anything about it in a
> real and meaningful way?  No.  Buying 1 camera or 1 lens once in a while,
> New, would make a tiny difference, not enough to keep them in business for
> another hour.
>
> I suggested several years ago that the future of Leica is in adapting their
> glass to others' camera bodies.  I also suggested getting some other company
> like Fujica to make a digital body to hold their glass.  I have never
> supported the idea of Leica developing their own digital development.   They
> have neither the staffing nor the development budget.   They have not
> adopted that thinking.
>
> Outsourcing is their salvation.  Capitalizing on their glass is their
> salvation.  There is no other place to hide. IM (not so)HO.
>
> Frank Filippone
> red735i@earthlink.net
>

> --

Plenty of people cant make up their minds which they like better, their
Leica cameras or lenses. And change their minds one way to they other often.
And I know Leica is a Camera Company.
A Camera Company who just happens to make the best or darn close the best
lenses on the planet. I have about equal respect for Schneider and Zeiss and
put Nikon just over a half of a step down.

Leica glass is the best feature of the Leica Camera System.
Other than the cameras of course. But I guess it depends who you ask.
The lenses are a compelling reason to buy Leica cameras.
Including the ones with the charge coupled devices in them where the
pressure plate should be.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland, Oregon