Subject: Re: [Leica] Adam's PAW, Feb 2004, Week 1
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 13:24:48 -0800

Adam Bridge showed and said:
Subject: [Leica] Adam's PAW, Feb 2004, Week 1

> We were in downtown Davis to support a bit of political rabble-rousing by
some
> friends. I had intended to take some photos of the readings by several
noted
> authors but the crowd was rather larger than anticipated. So while my wife
did
> all the right political things I watched this big searchlight sweeping
through
> the trees.
> > I shot a roll of film of it and like this image the best:
> > <http://www.splitsecondfilms.com/2004PAW/2004-02-wk1-NightTree.jpg>
> > It was a more difficult photo than I had thought.<<<<<<,

Hi Adam,
This is an immediate reaction to the photograph and it starts from your
words...

>>So while my wife did all the right political things  (__ I watched this
big searchlight sweeping through the trees.__) <<<<

Operative words " >> searchlight sweeping through the trees.<<

And you were motivated to shoot a "moving light" because that's what turned
you on to the action, not the stopped still photograph. Because honestly all
you have here is a tree with some lit branches and it has no significant
photo merit to an observer. Maybe some folks will be grabbed by it, but I
honestly offer my comment because I have shot exactly the same thing and it
looked exactly like yours.. a tree with some branches lit!"

And I had a hell of a time getting by that, and because it didn't excite
anyone else. As I looked at it I was still influenced by the "photo in my
minds eye." Light sweeping through the trees. :-( And I had coloured lights
in a few of mine.

Of course later I realized the way to shoot it was maybe a time exposure to
try and capture blur kind if image if possible. Obvious too late to try it
again. :-(

Even when you look at it, you still see it as the  "moving" picture that
motivated you. Right?
ted