Subject: [Leica] Equipment as an artists brush or tools matter
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2004 11:37:47 -0500

The debate raging in various parts of the photographic community about
digital vs film I think is about willingness to change.  Some are coming
from the point of view that they are happy with what they have and don't
want to change.  A part of that is what I want to address.

Some tools just work better for some of us.  I have used a whole lot of
equipment of all formats and the Leica designs just work better for me
to produce images, especially the M.

If Daniel will let me, looking at his PAW's over the past year or so,
the Rollei system works for Daniel; the images produced using that set
up are just special.  Surprisingly, the "commie camera" images seem to
be better than the images he posts with his Leica's.  I suspect that
this is an equipment/human interface issue.

I believe the desire to maintain a tool that works for us is why the
issue of the digital M keeps coming up.  Most of us would love to
embrace the digital workflow and instant feedback; especially if film
was still available for special needs. Unfortunately, so far, none of
the digital offerings have worked for me with the exception of the 1Ds
and for my budget, the price is too much to replace what I already have:
after some useage the Panasonic just doesn't work after all.  I believe
that at the 1Ds price point for a digital M of at least 6MP would get me
to pop for one.  This isn't really incongruous, I use an SLR for a
minority of my shooting and film will suffice at this point.

I also think that it is time for a change in tools.  In the forties up
to the middle fifties the 4X5 was the press camera most widely used.
What is the difference between a pro digital camera with a flash and a
24-70 2.8 lens in size and weight and a Speed Graphic with a flash gun
other than faster shooting?

For coverage of people and the world around them, I don't think a better
camera than an M like camera has been produced. It could be possible
that a paradyne shift could occur again if Leica or anyone else succeeds
in producing a relatively small, quiet, non-intimidating camera that
works intuitively once you get to know it in the digital realm.

In summary, much of the debate is a combination of dislike of change but
to a large degree that dislike is a fear that a tool that works well
will be taken away and replaced by something inferior for that person.
Imagine a digital camera very M like without the loading/rewinding
issues.  With a post view histogram even a primitive light meter would
be just fine.

0.02

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com