Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Scanner advice wanted
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 08:52:36 -0700

> BUT ... there's no getting around it. No matter how you look at it, you've
> got a lot of work in front of you. Spend some time thinking about the
> workflow: editing, file names, file formats, archiving, backups of archive
> etc.

This is really good advice. I have a system, and those who look at my posted
images here can probably derive it:

FilmType ASA Framenumber Subject photoshop processing . file type

Each Roll is stored in its own folder so the directory heirarchy looks like:

2004
    2004-01-15
        TriX400-R1
        TriX400-R2
        TriX800-R1

So if I shoot a photosession of Cathy on TriX at 800 frame 20 before being
processed by Photoshop would be named:

    TriX800-20-Cathy.tif

And if I crop the image, adjust it with curves, spot it and sharpen it the name
becomes:

    Trix800-20-Cathy-crp-crv-spt-shrp.psd

That's how I'm doing it NOW.

In the future I'd just assign each roll of film a number rather than attempt to
assign a date since I sometimes rolls of film cross date boundaries, sometimes
even month boundaries (sob!).

Using a program like Cumulus or Portforlio will then allow you to assign meta
information to each image on which you can search. I used Cumulus under OS 9 but
when they didn't bother to come out with a version for OS X until a few months
ago, and then it's very buggy, I'm currently just using the current system.

I don't think there is any special wonderfulness about this system, but it IS a
system and it's supported by the scanning software of both Nikon and VueScan. (I
mark all VueScan images also.

Hope this helps. I'd be interested in how others do it.

Adam