Subject: [Leica] Re:Color vision
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 14:55:23 -0800

At 2:53 PM -0500 2/2/04, LRZeitlin@aol.com wrote:
> [...]
>person can see
>yellow quite clearly although the trichromatic theory presupposes that yellow
>is a mixture of red and green and both receptors must be working. Yellow/blue
>color blindness is much rarer but produces the additional complication that
>the red and green sensors are working but the resulting yellow color cannot be
>distinguished from blue, although red and green can be clearly distinguished.
>
>Despite the seductive simplicity of the tricolor approach, visual
>physiologists were forced to conclude that the actual visual
>mechanism may be different.
>Some theories proposed combination red/green sensors, yellow/blue sensors and
>a luminosity sensor. (Sort of like the way your color TV signal is modulated.)
>Others added additional sensors which modulated the color response of three
>primary sensors. Still other theories added additional primary sensors. The
>jury is still out on the exact mechanism of color sensation. One
>thing all modern
>theories have in common, however, is that considerable image processing is
>done in the eye and the brain before colors, edges, movements, and shapes are
>perceived. Human vision is MUCH more complicated than we were taught
>in Biology
>101.
>
>All that being said, the tricolor approach to color representation has been
>wholehearted adopted by technology because it provides the easiest
>and cheapest
>method of adequately capturing and reproducing MOST colors. The three colors
>chosen form a rough isosceles triangle superimposed over the color diagram
>shown in most textbooks. Any color inside the triangle can be represented by
>various amounts of the three chosen primaries. If you have a Mac computer, the
>Color Picker extension lets you see this triangle and adjust the
>actual hue and
>saturation of a color on the screen. But there are colors outside the triangle
>which the three chosen primary colors cannot reproduce. You can get these
>colors by choosing another set of primaries but then some colors
>that you could
>specify previously are unobtainable. Preferences for the color rendition of
>specific color films (Fuji vs. Kodak) are in part due to slight
>differences in the
>manufacturer's choice and balance of primary colors. The answer to more
>accurate color rendition is to use more than three primaries,
>perhaps four or five.
>This is the answer that most high end inkjet color printers have chosen to
>get around the limitations of subtractive pigments or dyes.
>
>So we just have to live with it. As long as our color films use only three
>color layers or our digital cameras use three types of color
>sensors, there will
>be colors our eyes can see but our cameras cannot reproduce.

This is just the beginning of the problems.

There are a couple of other factors which also contribute greatly to
colour sensitivity/response/reproduction.

The purity of the primary colours we use is seriously deficient.
Anybody who has done his own colour printing knows that, as the
filter packs are far from linear. So... the filters that are used in
colour film, in front of the digital sensor photosites, the inks we
use for printing, the monitor filters and phosphors, and also the
spectral sensitivities of our cones (our personal filtration) and our
own neuro-optical processing are all very divergent. Beyond that, the
spectral response to frequencies beyond our own 'visible' region
varies for emulsions, filters, and inks and dyes.

We're lucky to have gotten as close as we have.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
  /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com