Subject: RE: [Leica] Film "lived" for me this week
From: Wade Heninger <lists@heninger.org>
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2004 21:51:33 -0800

> > I had the opportunity to try out and view some 8 1/2 X 11 color prints
> > from the Canon Rebel with the $100 18-55mm lens.  The whole deal
> > costs $999.  I was blown away with the quality and depth of the photos
> > from such a cheap outfit.

I pulled some Tri-X out of my camera this week, plopped it into a trusty
Jobo tank and out came some beautiful images 20 minutes later.

I can scan them, and print them on my wonderful HP 7660, which does great
B/W RC-style prints.

I can also go into the darkroom and print them on wonderful Seagull fiber
paper.

And in 40 years, providing I don't do something stupid, the negs will be
just as wonderful and ready to print then.

I realize that digital is here to stay.  I *like* digital, and sure I use it
sometimes.  Hell, a big portion of my work is *on* the next version of
Photoshop, but damn it if that film does not smell nice out of the
cartridges.

And best of all, my camera does not have a plastic lens mount and 1001
buttons to obsess over.

w a d e  h e n i n g e r
p h o t o g r a p h i k