Subject: [Leica] B&W copy work
From: "Phong" <phong@doan-ltd.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 22:16:57 -0500

Hi gang,

I am back the funeral of my friend last week and am
catching up with LUG mail.  Thanks all who offer condolences.

In helping sorting thru his stuff, I found some old B&W photos,
some quite old (70, 80+ years) that I'd like to make copies
of.  I can do it both in film or digitally, though the output
will be digital (prints from a Piezography printer.  (Besides,
some of the photos could use some Photoshop restoration work).
I took a first stab at it by using a macro lens on my digital DSLR,
the result is ok, but is quite low in contrast.  I use a studio strobe
with a softbox because that's what I have to provide even lighting.
I would like to make high quality, small prints (4"x6", 5"x7").
The original prints are small (3.5"x5.5", 4"x6" or thereabout) and are in
reasonable shape, though of course lack the details provided by
modern lenses.  What's the best way to tackle this copy work ?
How do I improve the contrast ?
Thanks,

- - Phong

Replies: Reply from "Bill Harting" <wharting@verizon.net> (Re: [Leica] B&W copy work)