Subject: Re: [Leica] Fw: [LargeFormat] Beth Keiser Shoots B&W 4x5 For Campaign Coverage
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 16:31:21 -0800

On 1/28/04 2:16 PM, "sam" <sam@osheaven.net> wrote:

> I can't answer for anyone else, and I have no desire to stop anyone from
> discussing whatever it is they want to discuss. I admit that digital
> photography does not interest me too much. If I come up with a subject I
> think is of interest to many, I'll post it. I hope you will indulge me
> if I sometimes voice my frustration that the LUG sounds like an
> advertisement for Canon equipment.
>
> Sam

I hate Canon equipment (expect an F1 maybe, or an Ftb) and I'm sure Ansel
would too! I donšt really think he quite had the reputation that he could be
bought off by the  highest bidder to hawk their tacky products and I'm sure
this was not really implied.
I think Canon's are overblown and I hate the way they look.
I'm partially serious.
I used to never let it pass when a Lugnut would get all involved in how to
put their Leica lenses on a stupid Canon ultrahightech monstrosity body. Now
I'm tired of repeating myself. The mindsets behind the designs of the two
systems from the two companies are so different that to combine them really
seems like an abomination. Leica is an ultra tiny company which tries to be
as low tech as possible but reluctantly high tech enough to stay with some
fraction of the market. Canon is as a big as a Fortune 100 company will be
the first to have a camera blast off by itself and put itself into orbit
around the moon. I'm sure they'll be first in solar panels in no time if
they're not already. Which unfold FASTER because the motors are IN THEM

And certainly not when someone would say "that's ok you might as well just
use Canon glass anyway it's just as good as Leica glass" and nobody blinks
an eyelash. This was just said the other day and my feeling is if someone
felt that way why are they on the lug for the atmosphere?  Scintillating
conversation? They should get on that Canon list where they can bliss out in
high tech big business heaven.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland, Oregon