Subject: Re: [Leica] More Digilux 2 images
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 15:53:59 -0800

On 1/28/04 11:51 AM, "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Amazing the things people will blithely put up with and do if there's a
> red dot on the front of the camera. Now if we were talking about a Fuji,
> and said it does this and that and the other thing - but suffers from
> barrel and pincushion distortion, but "you can take it out in software,"
> people would rant and rave about wanting a camera that doesn't put the
> distortion in in the first place. ;-)

Was referring perhaps overly obscurely to the now new phenomena of the AF DX
Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED which is a fisheye which becomes fully
corrected with a hit of the button in the Nikon Capture 4 software
The idea of a lens designed with software modification as part of the design
and workflo sounds very NASA to me and not American consumer prosumer. I'll
be interested to see other things along these lines pop up. I'm sure Canon
will come up with something which will be a half step ahead of nikon in
these area soon so as to not appear out of the running.

Also I might add that just because someone on the LUG says he thinks he
detects some barrel distortion on some images on this monitor from these
URL's' doe that mean that barrel distortion on this lens is an established
fact. Or certainly not distortion to any unusual degree.
MY money goes to this lens going down as being a well corrected and a
marvelous optic which will be a major reason among many this cameras is
sought after and respected. I'd expect no less from Leica and would be very
surprised to see less in this camera. We'll see as the test reports and user
reports come in.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland, Oregon