Subject: RE: [Leica] R lens on Canon Body
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 15:13:59 -0500

David,
There are several adapters out there to mount R lenses on Canon EOS
bodies.  Novo flex makes one that you can get from B&H and there are
several choices from the Asian market that you can find on the auction
site.  Also, I believe that Dr. Yao supplies a good one.

I know that all the cammed lenses will mount: be careful with the ones
that will not work on an SL (new 19mm, 35 F1.4, 24).  Doug Herr's site
lists all of them.  There is some probability that the new 19 will work
as the mirror of the digital Rebel is smaller so it will not hit the
back of the lens.

I have never tried the ROM lenses so have no data there.

As you suspect it is manual everything.  There is no focus assist.
Focusing is not really a problem with lenses that have a narrow depth of
field in my experience but everyone has a different perspective on this.

For someone going into digital with a repertoire of lenses in another
system the Canon system is a good place to go.  There are adapters to
use almost any other system on the bodies so until you build up a new
set you can use your old lenses.  Yes, it is not as easy as dedicated
lenses but certainly doable.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com