Subject: Re: [Leica] Irene...paw
From: Steve Barbour <kididdoc@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 17:11:42 -0700

>Steve Barbour showed:
>Subject: Irene...paw
>
>>  I want to share images I took this week of a 13 year old girl, who has
>>  bone cancer.  She was in the hospital again, and agreed to be
>>  photographed....
>>
>>  As just one photo does not do justice, I selected four to try to tell
>>  the story of this extraordinary young lady,  my friend Irene...
>>
>>  http://www.leica-gallery.net/barbour/image-59548.html
>>
>>  http://www.leica-gallery.net/barbour/image-59551.html
>>
>>  http://www.leica-gallery.net/barbour/image-59550.html
>>
>>  http://www.leica-gallery.net/barbour/image-59549.html<<<<<<<
>
>Hi Steve,
>A fine set of photographs illustrating what one might believe show this
>young ladies feelings.
>
>Even though I've shot a great number of medical assignments and produced a
>couple of books on the profession, I've never been able to cope with
>children in hospitals. They always grab at my heart or soul or emotions way
>beyond any subject.
>
>When I worked in Russia and the Ukraine on a photo project about the
>Children of Chernobyl after the nuclear disaster, it was so emotionally
>heart wrenching and mental draining day after day, I was a basket case at
>night trying to sleep.
>
>Quite often waking in the middle of the night suffering nightmares imagining
>these kids as my own 10 grandchildren, particularly if some moron politician
>decided to use nuclear weapons.  Photographing the children on this
>assignment was one of the toughest photo projects I've ever done.
>
>And yet time after time you come through with excellent photography
>capturing the feelings and conditions of patients big and small.  It takes
>compassion, ethics and a major amount of photographic talent on your part to
>know the moment, actually it should be "feel the moment" when to hit the
>button capturing exactly the right exposure.
>
>Keep 'em coming.
>ted

thank you very much Ted... yes, so true... certainly for me feeling
is everything ....as I haven't the technical ability to do more than
that...

Though I take care of this young lady as a doctor, know what.... when
I saw these photos I was close to tears.   I woke  at 2 am this
morning ,....couldn't sleep ... started thinking about these images
again.... again feeling the emotional impact of very sick children...

so we share the same reaction...I think that's  good.
What do you say... we work on a book together, on kids in the hospital...?

thanks for your kind words...

Steve

Replies: Reply from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] Irene...paw and some!)
Message from Steve Barbour <kididdoc@cox.net> (Re: [Leica] Irene...paw)