Subject: Re: [Leica] processing temp in XTOL
From: "John Black" <jblack@ambio.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 15:37:12 -0500

Adam:

You really don't need the higher temp with diluted Xtol.  I routinely use
Xtol at 1+4 @ 20C with minimum agitation for 13.5-17 min depending on the
film.  I use 14.5 min with Tri-X and 13.5 min with Neopan 1600. The longer
time of 17 min is reserved for Acros, but it works OK at 16 min (I use the
extra minute to bring the contrast up a tad for indoor and shady shots).

I haven't tried Xtol at higher temperatures but my experience with other
developers (HC110B, Gainers, D76) has been that it shortens times but at the
expense of a little more grain.  Highly diluted Xtol works just fine at 20C.

IMHO, FWIW...

JB

> I've always processed Xtol at 68.
>
> But I'm going to be processing some 1:3 dilutions and wonder if going up
to say 75 wouldn't speed things up.