Subject: [Leica] Re: help- what film is in my camera?
From: "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 10:25:08 -0600

Eric:

>what is in camera? Did I last
>shoot TCN or Fuji Press 400? Rats - no way to know until I finish the roll.

I cheat.  I rarely shoot anything other than Neopan.  I look at the film
speed dial.  It's either 100, 400, or 1600.  :)

If you don't like the idea of the film box end stuck somewhere on your
camera, I'd suggest rewinding the film.  Leave the leader out.  You can both
hear and feel when it's been released from the spool but before it's wound
into the cassette.  Pop your back open, and you can see.  Cover your lens,
and wind back to where you were, plus one frame for good measure.  If you
don't have a lens cover, set to the smallest aperture and fastest shutter
speed, and press the lens firmly against your leg or something similar to
act as a cover.

But even more, I'd suggest shooting less variety of film.  If you're
constantly changing film types and shooting rarely enough that you don't
remember what's in the camera, how are you going to learn the idiosyncracies
of each one?

Eric