Subject: Re: [Leica] Baryta prints
From: "David Rodgers" <davrodgers@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 15:47:27 -0800

Slobodan,

Saw my first ink jet print in a gallery in Carmel, CA over a decade ago.
Unique, according to tag, and expensive. Nearby silver prints from Weston
and Adams were way more impressive....and were priced for less.

Things are now reversed.

Baryta sounds more impressive than fiber. Like Giclee vs inkjet.

Interesting that inkjet papers cost more per square inch than the best
fiber/baryta papers.

Am I alone in thinking that a fiber print will always have more inherent
value than and inkjet? Doesn't matter that both look good, and will last.
It's a level of effort thing. I guess I've spent too much time with two bath
fixing and waiting for the archival washing to finish.

No suprise why silver prints are rare and getting more rare. They should
also cost more.

That's a hard sell, though. Try asking the bride, "Do you want, prints made
from carbon like that candle wick over there?....Or dyes like that tie dye
shirt obnoxious kid brother is wearing?.... or do you want prints formed
from precious metals?"

Hopefully she doesn't remember that the diamond in her engagement ring is
carbon.

I like darkroom printing and fondly remember the occasional LUG threads
pitting the fiber crowd against the RC generation. "Taste Great!" "Less
Filling!" "Fiber is archival" "RC is EZ"

Who can forget the "Somebody has changed my favorite paperl" threads that
populated the LUG  as often as "Kodak changed Tri-X". The only change Kodak
made to Tri-X is the last 20 years is the time of day they make it.
Yesterday the degree of change that had everyone up in arms isn't even
comparable to the product changes we face monthly in the digital world.

DaveR
www.lightcurves.com