Subject: Re: [Leica] 35/1.2
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 14:45:03 -0800

Liam Maloney asked:
>>> Thanks for the recommendations. How much of the VF is
> blocked with the 35/1.2? One of the nice things about
> the (old) 35 'lux is its' relatively small size.<<<

Hi Liam,
It takes a bit off the lower right corner of the viewfinder, but nothing
visually destroying. And I don't think any worse than the Noctilux.

But regardless of how much it cuts off, after a time using the lens you'll
not see the blocked corner anyway. Besides anyone using the Noctilux for a
period of time will tell you eventually the corner intrusion doesn't make
any difference.

And anyone using an M and thinking they're going to have critical corner to
corner exactly what they see in the viewfinder is fooling themselves. Yeah
I suppose if you screw around on a tripod you can get very very accurate
viewfinder negative coverage. But if what goes on the film is extremely
critical then the photographer should be using some kind of SLR, Leica or
otherwise.
ted