Subject: [Leica] Re: "R" battery query
From: David Young <dnr@horizon.bc.ca>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 12:27:20 -0800

At 1/11/2004, you wrote:

>I'm an "M" guy who's thinking of adding "R". What batts do the Leicaflexes
>and Rs use? Many marques of this vintage were using 625s and other mercuries.
>
>I know the rep of the SL/SL2, but would an R4s be a good, low-investment
>starter? Not R4, but R4*s*.

Stan:

The SL/SL2 use the PX625 mercury battery... though the camera is easily
recalibrated for the 1.5 volt Alkaline or Silver batteries now
available.  I had mine done as part of a CLA by Reinhold Mueller.  BTW,
Reinhold tells me that the Alkalines work fine, so long as you remember to
change 'em once a year.  It worked for me, though now I'm using the 625-S
Silver cells.

There are also the Wien Air cells, but they have a very short life.

The R3 through R7 use silver cells, whilst the R8 & R9 use the CR2 Lithium
batteries.   No problems on any of these.

As to your R4 question...

The R3 and R4's had 'teething' problems.  The R4s was simply a stripped
down R4 (no 'P' or 'T' modes).

The R4s Mod-2 (R4s Mod-P in the USA) came out in 1985 and was a
substantially improved model and the first 'R' that I would consider.  Note
that the "Mod-2" or "Mod-P" does NOT appear on the front of the camera,
which simply says R4s.  But R4-S MOD2 is engraved on the flanges of the
accessory shoe.  Look for it!

The R5 was improved (both features and reliability) further. Later models,
even more so.  I had an R5 and would buy another in a heartbeat!  The R5 is
often available for very little more than an R4s Mod-P and since the 1987
production was twice the total R4s-Mod2 production, a LOT easier to find!

Hope this helps.

David Young	| The LHSA Spring Shoot - Victoria, B.C.
Victoria,	| April 23 thru 25th, 2004.
CANADA. 	| Join the LHSA and join in the fun!

Information at:  http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/spring-shoot.htm

Personal Web-site at: http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr