Subject: RE: [Leica] What is a JOBO?
From: "WOC" <woc2@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 23:55:14 -0500

Robert,
  Try to give you the readers digest version.  Then make/sell a few things
but when most folks talk about JOBO they are referring to a device that
comes in various sizes to allow the user to develop film or prints.  It is
basically a table top unit that you fill with water.  the water is heated to
keep the chemicals a constant temp.  The film or prints go in tubes that
come in various lengths, the length being limited by the unit you use.  once
in the tubes, whatever you are processing, the head of the tube snaps into
place and the tube lays horizontally in a bath of the heated water.  You
pour the chemical into the filler and the tube rotates for the prescribed
time.  When ready you lift the tube which drains the chemical and let it lay
back down, putting in the next chemical, repeating until done.  Remove the
tube, remove the film or prints and you are done.
  Some nice things are; the processing is very well controlled in time,
temp, chemical use, results are very repeatable, when empty they are very
light and can easily be moved about, the lights are on during all the
processing making life in the darkroom easier.
  Used mine for ages until I closed the darkroom last year.  IMHO, better
then sliced bread.
Bill