Subject: Re: [Leica] Cold in Canada, Cold in Natchitoches
From: "Steve Barbour" <kididdoc@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 16:43:44 -0700

> > >When that ferry sank in the Baltic Sea about 10 or more years
back many
> of
> > >the survivors who survived the longest in the cold water were the
ones
> who
> > >were highly annebriated.
> >
> > If the survival rate of the drunks was higher than that of the
sober
> passengers, I'd like to hear from some of the MDs on the list
explaining the
> difference in survival rates... I'd imagine that since alcohol
dialates the
> capillaries the drunks' heat loss would be significantly greater
than the
> sober survivors.
> >
> I'd be interested to know more too. From what I recall hearing in
the press
> at the time there were some passengers who were  fished out of the
ocean
> with greatly reduced body temperatures in coma like states. These
are ones
> where the alcohol increased the chance of survival. These were not
'normal'
> cases of hypothermia where the individual is concious or
semi-concious.

a couple thoughts... assuming that there is true documented increased
survival with alcohol in the body...

1. as Doug Herr said... alcohol will cause vasodilation and increase
the rate of heat loss...that's a negative for alcohol..

2. but death with hypothermia often occurs due to cardiac arrythmia,
as the core temperature  decreases through a critical range...
possibly alcohol reduces the chance of arrythmia...that's a plus for
alcohol...and that may apply to the specific subgroup you refer to...
that had increased survival...

Steve

- ---