Subject: RE: [Leica] Not a PAW...
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 09:56:25 -0500

Thanks Bill...You're certainly right about the wide angles, and depth of
field...It is something that I find troublesome...There are, btw, a
number of cellphone photos, which I haven't yet converted to bw...and of
course there has to be a field and someone on the phone in it to shoot
it..;-) - I'm all for grittiness when it's there...but this wasn't a
gritty wedding...As to shadows, etc., how about the beauty parlor shot
with the shuttered window throwing bars of light on the bride...or the
bride leaving her room?....I know what you mean though...There is no
question that digital is NOT film - for any number of reasons. Life is,
in this case sadly, about tradeoffs. (Of course I did shoot some film -
with my old Olympus OM4 rescued from my daughter..I used the 21 f 2 and
50 1.2, to see how I liked working with them and what they'll give me. I
have to say that being able to focus to about 8 inches with a 21 was an
indescribable pleasure...as to the 50 1.2 - I've never used it before,
so I don't know what I'll be getting back...Focusing with it was sure
easy, but whether it's a coke bottle bottom or a reasonably sharp lens,
I don't yet know...