Subject: RE: [Leica] Inspired but arrested
From: Daniel Ridings <daniel.ridings@muspro.uio.no>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 08:16:33 +0100 (MET)

The whole idea of a public place ... because it is, anyone and everyone is
welcome to be there, can be subject to private whims and not the same laws
that govern other public places. My definition of public places is not
"somewhere financed by tax-payers' money".

We had a similar discussion in Gothenburg. There is a movement to publish
high quality magazines. These are then given to people who would otherwise
be pan-handling. They sell them instead of begging.

One "mall" or "private place" tried to run them off. I forget the whole
process (I knew it was so absurd to call a mall "private" that I didn't
even pay much attention).

We have something in Sweden called "allemansrätt" (every-man's-right). It
is not possible to put up a sign "No trespassing". It's not a law, it's
just a tradition right going back as far as anyone can remember, at least
the 1500's.

According to "allemansrätt" I may go out pick berries, mushrooms, flowers,
fallen limbs (to make wreathes, for example. You can't cut down a tree,
but you can take branches from trees that have already fallen) or just
walk around. I can do this as long as I do not disturb the privacy of the
owner ... that is, I can't walk into their yard and pick flowers, but I
can go anywhere else on their land. I can take pictures, I can start small
fires (with discretion), I can camp out all night on their land without
asking.

To say I can't take a picture in a mall.

Not only wierd, but pure stupidity. I wonder where that idea comes from?

Daniel