Subject: [Leica] Stealth Digital NA
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 16:49:26 -0800

http://65.110.81.28/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-6450-6561 That story in
this months National Geographic (NG) about the airplanes caught my eye
and I brought it to the attention of the list a week or so ago wondering
if it was shot digital and if they were finally the last ones to go
digital. A surprising bit of intuition on my part because it turned out
that it was! And was the first digital story they'd run. Others were
partially digital I take it this wall all digital.

My digital SLR has been a D100 and I was the first on my block to get
the 12-24DX lens because I got it from a place where no one else would
probably walk into and get something; Shutterbug. Why go there, their
big new corner place when CameraWorld is kitty-corner across the street?
Because CameraWorld has gone to the dogs having been bought out by
wolf/ritze. (Woof!) And Shutterbug has all this funny stuff at not so
bad prices that you'd are on a waiting list at the normal pro supply
places I'd normally go to. One thing they have weirdly enough is LEICA
stuff and CameraWorld does NOT. So that is where I got my Digilux. Turns
out the 12-24dx (which translates to 18-36) was his main lens for this
shoot. All these gorgeous shots I'm seeing in my NA were done with the
iffy lens I had sitting right there on the table. (Pretty cheap as it
was not an 2.8 but an f4 and the smaller image circle lenses are cheaper
to make)

What grabbed me in another thing I read about this shoot I forgot where
is they were postulating to the photographer that he would do better
with the faster H then the larger file sized X. D1X.  H
He said he was the kind of guy who was always trying to use Plus x
instead of Tri x on his stories.
So the smaller file sizes we was not going to go for. Had the D2H been
out then I wonder if the images we see or saw in the NA would look less
good at all. I know you want your file size to be twice your line screen.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com