Subject: Re: [Leica] Lens Coating
From: "Alexander Kraus" <Dr.Alexander.Kraus@gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 18:26:49 +0100 (MET)

> Does anyone know of a solvent to remove lens coatings?

No. Coatings consist of metal oxides or fluorides that are totally
insoluble.
The only way to remove them ist to polish them off.
With some old lenses with soft coatings I have succeeded in using toothpaste
as polishing agent. I did put some toothpaste on a humid cotton cloth and
polished
the lens manually with little pressure until the blue tint of the coating
was gone.
The glass was not scratched during this procedure.
But in yout case I don`t see a particular advantage in removing the coating
unless you are planning to get it recoated.
Even if the coating is missing at some spots, it is still effective on most
of the lens surface. Removing this coating lead to an decrease of contrast
and light transmission.
Regards,
Alex

Replies: Reply from "www.geocities.com/curtisbliss" <surrealistic@cox.net> (Re: [Leica] Lens Coating)