Subject: Re: [Leica] My back hurts ..........
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 19:06:30 -0800

At 8:23 PM -0500 12/15/03, Tina Manley wrote:
>At 05:01 PM 12/15/2003 -0800, you wrote:
>>Tina Where are you going in in Ecuador ,¿what are you going
>>to shoot with the Telyt-R 400mm, 560mm f/6.8 ?I can't even
>>remember using a 180mm always found the wildlife and people
>>to be quite friendly and inviting to be photographed ,
>>¿didn't you just have your knees done ? My back hurts just
>>thinking about getting through customs walking out of the
>>air port in Quito .
>
>I know what you mean, Charles!  We are spending the last week
>cruising the Galapagos Islands.  I'm taking the long lens for that,
>even though I've been told that the main problem will be to avoid
>stepping on the blue-footed boobies and giant turtles.  I still
>think I might need the long lens and it doesn't weigh much at all.
>It's lighter than the 100 Macro!!  It just takes up space, not
>weight.  My knees are so much better that I'm convinced that I could
>carry anything!  I'm up to a 20 minute mile on the treadmill at the
>Y!  My knees click and groan when the temperature goes down, but
>I'll be at the equator - even if it is 10,000 feet up!  Keep your
>fingers crossed for me and I should do fine.
>
>Best wishes for the holidays!
>
>Tina

Taking the 400 to the Galapagos is a good idea since you can get,
among other things, amazing images of frigate birds playing among
themselves in the air or harrassing other birds, or boobies diving.
There are sea lions surfing, eagles, and tiny, tiny vermilion
flycatchers that you can't get close enough to. I used a 400 with
1.4x TC at times, and I also got pictures of red footed boobies
nesting in bushes with a 12mm. You can put to good use whatever you
bring.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design