Subject: RE: [Leica] OT- War Photography
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 16:22:10 -0500

No, the AP made an editorial decision against transmitting the image;
the AP did not censor the image any more than it 'censors' thousands of
images each day. Censorship is generally thought of as a governmental
function, and also is generally thought of as preventing publication of
of something on pain of legal action.

News organizations make editorial decisions against running, publishing,
printing, and broadcasting things every day. Many of these decisions are
very wrong headed. But they do not amount to censorship - because any
other organization or individual can chose to transmit the same thing.

Don't forget, the particular image we are discussing has been published,
printed, reproduced, in many places and forums - it has hardly been
'censored.'

B. D.