Subject: Re: [Leica] OT- War Photography
From: sam <sam@osheaven.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 12:37:24 -0500

Chris, since your original message stating that the picture had been
banned (with it's implication that it was a government action) a number
of people have merely attempted to correct the notion that the U.S.
government banned that photo from being seen. That's real. Individual
editors may not use photos they have a problem with, but one would
hardly blame the government for that. I'm not even sure it serves a
serious purpose to frequently print such photos. I saw the picture in
question and it in no way made me "understand" the consequences of war
better than had I not seen it. I know that people die in war, that they
get burned and blown-up. It might even be a flaw with some
photojournalist to think that such photos have intrinsically more merit
than photos of more mundane matter.

Sam S