Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: Farm Tractors &SUV's and Vauxhall Wyverns
From: Clive Moss <chmphoto@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 17:14:42 -0600

Richard Coutant said the following on 12/13/2003 3:00 PM:
> Absolutely. The original gearbox and clutch on my fifty-year-old Fordson
> Super Dexta are still fine, and I can hardly ever remember shifting
> while in motion.
Reminds me (perversely) of the first car I drove - a 1948 Vauxhall
Wyvern (4 cylinders, 1500cc) on its last legs in 1960. At times the
clutch would stop clutching and I had to learn to shift gears without a
clutch. Works fine if you slip out of gear just as you lift off the
accelerator, wait for engine revs to sound right, and slip into the new
gear. No crunching if you got it right. Accelerate if changing down,
just wait if changing up. Could not stop dead at stop streets, but could
go through slow enough not to be dangerous.
I guess old cameras work better than old cars.
- --
Clive
http://clive.moss.net