Subject: Re: [Leica] Lens cap missive
From: grduprey@rockwellcollins.com
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 13:21:35 -0600

I agree John

The M caps are junk.  The R lens caps on the other hand are just great and
do not come off accidentally at all (in my experience).  They also slip on
and snugly hold onto the lens.  You could also look into plastic wear
container tops, they also work very nice if you can find the right size.  I
used to use a Planters Peanut can cap for my 85/1.4 Nikkor lens years ago -
Worked Great!

Gene

                      John Collier
                      <jbcollier@shaw.ca>                 To:       leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
                      Sent by:                            cc:
                      owner-leica-users@mejac.palo        Subject:  [Leica] Lens cap missive
                      -alto.ca.us

                      12/09/2003 09:27 PM
                      Please respond to
                      leica-users

I use all of my M glass without lens hoods or filters so caps are my
only line of defense against my son's fellow Kindergarten inmates.
Leica M lens caps are very poorly designed. They fall off if they catch
on the least little thing which is not good if you have three bodies
hanging off your shoulders and neck and are surrounded by little
Fenians with paint brushes, etc . So I am always looking for a better
lens cap.

As reported earlier, old Canon FD E55 lens caps work perfectly on Leica
lenses with a tight grip but still easy to remove. Up until now I have
used a Nikon E58 cap on my E60 Noctilux. It works OK but it is a bit
loose and can fall off but nowhere near as easily as the Leica E60 one.
While visiting Victoria I had the chance to dig around in a lens cap
bin and I found the perfect cap for my Noctilux. It is an older felt
lined, plastic slip on Canon cap (looks to be common). I had to cut two
slots for the hood mounting pins but it fits snuggly and is easy to
remove in the heat of battle. Score two points for Canon.

The only other lens cap size I need is for my E46 35/1.4A. I have
already tossed the Leica E46 cap and I am using the Contax E46 cap from
the G2 series; better, but still not perfect. Any suggestions are
always gratefully received.

John Collier