Subject: Re: [Leica] Taking Umbrage at John's Lens cap missive
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 08:49:23 -0800

John Collier said:
> I have lens hoods for all my lenses and, up until about three years
> ago, I would have sooner gone out photographing without film than
> without a lens hood. However, I watched an mpeg of DAH working merrily
> away WITH NO LENS HOOD on his 35/1.4A.<<<,

Hi John,
Heck I was away ahead of him!!! ;-)  I haven't had a lenshood on my Noctilux
for over 20 years after one of the locking pins fell off the lens and the
hood couldn't be locked on properly. So it was never replaced, besides Leica
wanted more dollars for a new one than a couple of bottles of single malt!
;-) And given I always have my priorities in the right place I opted for the
2 bottles of scotch instead of a single "lenshood." ;-)

And as far as the 35 1.4 non-Asph hood? I bent it up in a battle zone not
long after I got it with only half still locked on the lens, so sans the
screw on part to hold the filter was the way it was used for years,
eventually I threw it away also. :-)

Sure there've been a few times I thought I should re-place them but what the
heck, so far so good! ;-) Besides today, to re-new both shades, I could
probably buy 4 bottles of single malt! And you know where I'd stand on that.
;-)

ted

Replies: Reply from John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] Taking Umbrage at John's Lens cap missive)
Message from John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] Taking Umbrage at John's Lens cap missive)