Subject: Re: [Leica] It's snowing! It's snowing!
From: John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 16:07:27 -0700

That is the part other people have a tough time believing. It is
overheating that will kill you. You get wet from sweat and then freeze
solid. I am not sure how cold it gets in Toronto but out here it gets
much colder. At about -25C the clothing starts freezing up and it gets
to be hard work just to pedal lightly. MEC makes a great pair of
goretex cycling pants with articulated knees (the fabric is bunched up
at the knee) which makes it much easier to keep those pedals turning.

If you are using flat bars, get yourself to a snowmobile shop and buy
some handlebar muffs. They are huge but very effective and very toasty.
That way you can wear lighter gloves which is handy when you need to
adjust clothing or get locks and what not. Unfortunately they do not
work with drop bars but MEC also carries Pearl Izumi Lobster Mitts.
These are mitts with a glove like split in middle so two fingers are in
each "finger". They work great as each finger has a separate pocket in
the large finger which gives you good control for working road STI
levers.

John Collier

Replies: Reply from Jerry Lehrer <jerryleh@pacbell.net> (Re: [Leica] It's snowing! It's snowing!)
Reply from Johnny Deadman <lists@johnbrownlow.com> (Re: [Leica] It's snowing! It's snowing!)