Subject: RE: [Leica] IR Infrared Filter
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 17:11:41 -0800

At 7:44 PM -0500 12/7/03, Don Dory wrote:
>Robert,
>Yes, Leica did have IR filters for their lenses.  I have a chrome one
>for my DR and any other 39mm thread and one for my Summitar.  As you
>noted, focusing is a snap with a rangefinder and at the typical F8-11
>apertures changing the focus is not that big a deal.
>
>As for where, I would try the usual suspects: Tamarkin, Rich at
>Photovillage, Sam at Classic Camera, and B&H.  If you want a modern
>filter then B+W will make one on special order.  I think it would be a
>92 or so in their vernacular.
>
>Don

The B+W 92 filter is reasonably equivalent to an 89B or the Leica IR
filter. It's not usually a special order item; B&H usually has them
in stock. The 93 B+H filter is between an 87 and 87C, probably closer
to an 87C, and is also generally available. The 93 works well with
Kodak HIE, and also with Maco 820C, although exposure times get long
with the latter. The 92 still lets in a lot of visible/near infrared,
and is not as good.

Another good choice is the Hoya 720, which is closer to an 88A. This
has reasonable exposure times, and is cheaper in the smaller sizes -
somehow the larger sizes get to be much more expensive than B+H or
Heliopan.

If you can affor to wait, the best deal is to get Heliopan. They make
virtually every size, in 1mm increments, and a huge variety of types.

http://www.heliopan.de/prod9.html  has a list and spectral responses
of their range of  IR filters. This site is in German, but the
spectral response curves are non-language specific. For HIE, RG 780
is probably best; for Maco 820C, RG 715 is probably a better choice.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
  /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com