Subject: [Leica] WAS: 35mm color vs. the tyranny now.. T-max dev.
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2003 08:36:27 -0800

Slobodan Dimitrov said:
> I have the same recollection that the developer was late coming out of the
> gate. That in itself is nothing new with Kodak.
> Speaking of developers, I even tried Microphen and Microdol with T-max. I
> can't remember the exact results, but I do remember being very
disappointed.<<

I believe that was the case as I'm sure the first few rolls I tried were
souped in D76 1:1 before the Tmax developer was available. Besides D76 1:1
had been standard dev in the darkroom for about 20 years.

I think many photographers who used Tmax film and Tmax developer were
disappointed with it by making the mistake of not "reading the developing
instructions which was different from what they were accustomed using D76
and other films.

I had horrible results at first and almost stopped using both. But I was
sure it couldn't be as bad as I was getting. Then remembered the old adage
........" if all else fails read the instructions!"
I did, and learned the "vigorous agitation the first 30 seconds and 3 rapid
inversions each 30 seconds until time was up." Also use 75 degrees as the
developing temp! And bingo! I started having wonderful results the likes I'd
never seen. And shot at ASA 800 it was producing beautiful available light
negatives.

I used it until I switched back to Tri-x with XTOL 1:1 some time ago. And on
occasion since I've thought about returning to Tmax, however one can't do
that in the middle of a photo project. But on the next one we might go back
to all Tmax.
ted

Replies: Reply from Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com> (Re: [Leica] WAS: 35mm color vs. the tyranny now.. T-max dev.)
Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com> (Re: [Leica] WAS: 35mm color vs. the tyranny now.. T-max dev.)