Subject: Re: [Leica] 35mm color vs. the tyranny of the masses
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 23:37:19 -0800

Here's one inaccuracy in your text:

"-- Film has a much higher dynamic range than digital - 15 stops on
TMY, or a 32768:1 ratio. That means that you capture everything in the
scene and can go back and adjust up or down at will later."

Not true. Film - even black and white, does NOT contain all details in
a scene. Even ideally processed, it will not be able to cover the
dynamic range of many, many scenes, especially contrast daylight.
Neither can digital. But that's my point. Neither of them can, and film
is not better.

I've not found this to be a limitation of high-end digital cameras for
some time now.

There are plenty of other questionable statements. Like 120 outlasting
35mm film. I don't believe that for a moment. There are already digital
medium format backs that give film a run for the money.