Subject: [Leica] re: nachtwey not just a B&W shooter
From: Liam Maloney <kine_scope@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 13:12:54 -0800 (PST)

BD, I sit corrected.

A bit OT:

How do other people feel about converting digital
images to B&W in post?

It'd be nice if DSLRs had an option to switch the
preview screen to B&W (maybe they do - I haven't
checked).

I approach subjects differently when shooting in
colour. Colour becomes an important part of the
content of the image - one of the reasons why I
usually prefer B&W. No distractions, no abstract
emotional reactions to colours that confuse the
message I'm trying to get across.

On the other hand, sometimes it's the splash of colour
in an otherwise bland image that carries the picture.

It pays to carry both.

And by both, I mean an M loaded with HP5 on one
shoulder and a tank-like DSLR on the other. I'm tired
of playing around in Photoshop with strange-looking
E200 that's been rated at 640, pushed 2 stops and used
in mixed fluo / sodium carbide lighting. Too much time
spent in front of the monitor and not enough behind
the VF.

Liam