Subject: [Leica] Nachtwey
From: Liam Maloney <kine_scope@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 11:32:24 -0800 (PST)

Mark,

I saw the movie you're referring to (War Photographer)
as well. Twice. Great portrait of a phenomenal
photojournalist. I think Nachtwey sticks to Tri-X. No
digital in evidence. Could be wrong, but I think he
had 2 or 3 EOS 1n's, one with a wide zoom and the
other with a standard zoom. His backpack carried the
DV recorder that connected to mini surveillance
cameras mounted on his still cameras - a great way to
witness the world through his eyes. We see the way
Nachtwey sees, and understand what motivates him to
release the shutter.

Strongly recommended to those of you who question the
value of his brand of war photography. I was
profoundly inspired by his commitment to telling
stories that many people would prefer to ignore.

BTW, I doubt that photojournalists will ever be
remotely directed by producers or bureau chiefs.
Not the good ones, anyway. :-)

Liam