Subject: Re: [Leica] PAW 47 dlridings
From: Daniel Ridings <daniel.ridings@muspro.uio.no>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 13:04:53 +0100 (MET)

Jim,

Believe it or not, but I tried with a Leica and 90mm about four or five
years ago. It was tough, real tough, to focus and recompose. If you knew
the moves (and you don't this early in the season), you could prefocus and
wait.

Can't you just see it with a Rollei ... girls whizz by and Daniel's head
keeps panning the wrong direction :)

The D100. When it comes to sports, digital can't be beat. These girls have
an attention span of about 4 hours when it comes to the competitions. If
you don't get the shots out to them within that period ... you might as
well show them last year's shots. Do it right and digital pays for itself
real quick.

I use a D100 with a 85/2.0 and a 135/2.8. I use EI 1600 sometimes, mostly
the equivaltent of EI 3200. That gives me 1/250 between 4 and 5.6. I keep
a 50/1.8 in my pocket just in case. I've tried autofocus, but I don't like
it. The primes give me better sharpness. I crop a lot with these shots and
like the extra quality. Not having a zoom is also just one less thing to
distract me. I pick out my seat early to fit the focal lengths.

I usually have an M body with the 35 and 50 ... but that's just because I
_always_ have an M body and a 35 and 50. It's good to have for off the
rink.

This first competition is in a lousy rink. Drat.

Daniel