Subject: [Leica] Alaska - the absence of light
From: "Oliver Bryk" <oliverbryk@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 17:11:06 -0800

Kit expressed her desire to live in Alaska because of the quality of the
light. One of my least favorite recollections of Alaska is from a day when I
arrived at Deadhorse airport after a longish flight from Anchorage. Everyone
on the chartered 727 (oil company shift change) was in full arctic gear
which didn't leave much room in the plane. After deplaning we walked single
file towards dimly visible buses while leaning sideways against the wind, a
snow curtain blowing horizontally. For the entire week of my stay (on a
consulting gig) the sun never set completely and the snow never stopped
blowing.
Many years later I spent two delightful weeks in Alaska in late summer, with
beautiful light; one week on a 70-passenger vessel and one week at a
backcountry lodge at the end of the Denali road.
Oliver Bryk

Replies: Reply from "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com> ([Leica] Re: Alaska - the absence of light)