Subject: Re: [Leica] Autumn colors in Sweden
From: Nathan Wajsman <n.wajsman@chello.nl>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 06:47:07 +0100

Hi Kit,

Daniel's photos are indeed wonderful. To answer your question about the length
of day: as an example, in Copenhagen today the sun will rise at 8.01 am and set
at 3.50 pm. There is another month of declining days to go, so that on the
shortest day of the year, December 21st, the sun will rise around 8.30 am and
set around 3.30 pm. Where Daniel lives (Oslo/Gothenburg) the day is even shorter
at this time of year because it is about 300 km north of Copenhagen. As you
noted, in a place like Iceland, which is much further north, the effect is
really extreme. And you are also right that the light, as little as there is of
it, is wonderful.

The flip side of this is of course in late June, where the sun barely sets in
Scandinavia... Some of my more painful memories from my college days in Denmark
is coming home from the bar or some party at 3 am, and it would already be
getting light. I lived in a place with a large window facing east, so by 6 am it
would be too bright and warm in my room to sleep anymore. The worst hangovers of
my life occurred during the summer months in that place.

Nathan