Subject: [Leica] Re: vuescan vs twain
From: "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 18:59:40 -0600

B.D.:

>I'll tell you what - On a day we agree on, you call me at 2 p.m., and
>I'll assign you to write a story of 1200 words which you have to report
>and have written and turned into me by 6 p.m.

>Journalists face a near impossible
>task; in fact, if you expect perfection, they face an impossible task.

>I get so damn sick and tired of hearing people say - 'any time I know
>anything about a subject, some reporter gets it wrong.'

Given that reporters are often such time pressure that it's nearly
impossible for them to get their facts straight and verified by independent
sources, then why do you get sick of hearing that?

I thought reporting news was about conveying accurate information.  Not just
timely.  Not just "good enough because we didn't have time to check the
facts."  If it's not accurate, what's the point?

To remind you, this thread started because a local paper reported an urban
legend as fact in regards to how twain got its name.  Ruben said words to
the effect of, "I'm not joking--it's true.  I read it in the paper."

When the paper can't be trusted, what's it matter if somebody wrote a 1200
word story in 4 hours?  I'd say maybe he needed 6 hours.  I'm not trying to
insult journalists. Everybody makes mistakes.  But isn't that why papers are
supposed to have copy editors and fact checkers?  If erroneous information
repeatedly gets published, that means the process is broken.  And it is.

Eric

Message from "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> (RE: [Leica] Re: vuescan vs twain)