Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: vuescan vs twain
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 18:52:15 -0500

No, Eric, that is not what they are. The vast - vast - majority of news
articles represent honest attempts by bright, well meaning men and women
to do the best they can with a subject in a very short period of time.

I'll tell you what - On a day we agree on, you call me at 2 p.m., and
I'll assign you to write a story of 1200 words which you have to report
and have written and turned into me by 6 p.m.

Daily newspapers are NOT peer reviewed journals. They are not
encyclopedias. They are instant reports on a given day's events, written
for consumption the following day. Journalists face a near impossible
task; in fact, if you expect perfection, they face an impossible task.

I get so damn sick and tired of hearing people say - 'any time I know
anything about a subject, some reporter gets it wrong.' Frankly, what
they are saying in most cases is 'any time I know something about a
subject I not only bring my knowledge to every story I read about it, I
also bring all my opinions, prejudices, and biases; and I judge what's
written against those.'

I know, I know, you can quote chapter and verse.