Subject: RE: [Leica] Setting up a web site
From: "Tom Smart" <tom@sleepytom.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 18:28:35 -0600

I get tired of the tripod pop-up windows and therefore tend to avoid sites
hosted by tripod.  Also, it is rather cool to register your own domain.

I'm biased toward dynamic sites.  I think it is nice to be able to upload
your new images via a web form; the thumbnail is created on the fly and the
gallery pages update themselves.  For that you'll need to learn dynamic web
programming such as ASP (Active Server Pages), and get hosted with a site
that has 3rd Party ASP programs running to make everything easier.  A site
on www.InfoQuest.com costs about $15/month and allows that sort of dynamic
programming.

The Family of Man 2 project is that sort of programming.  Granted, I think
it was fairly ugly last year, but I think the process is pretty good and it
will be prettier next year (
http://www.sedationtraining.com/FOM2/newFOM2.jpg ).  You can do that sort of
thing single-handedly if you have a mind to, but there is a learning curve.
There are tons of sites online that teach that sort of thing, like
ASP101.com, 4guysfromrolla.com, aspfree.com.  Active Server Pages For
Dummies is a nice primer, and I can always send some code samples your way.

I know novices might be intimidated by the concepts of dynamic web sites,
but really it isn't too hard.  It really adds to the creativity you can
incorporate into your site.

Tom