Subject: Re: [Leica] The real PAW inventor
From: Daniel Ridings <daniel.ridings@muspro.uio.no>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 08:48:35 +0100 (MET)

> Subject: [Leica] The real PAW inventor
> > Ralph Ginzburg 1995
> > > "I shot New York"
> > > http://cgi.cnn.com/books/reviews/9903/09/i.shot.ny/
> >
> > "How could a lone individual, working without any assistance, produce a
> > publishable news photo each day for a whole year?"<<<<
>
> Hi Daniel,
> I'm not sure if this is your question or a quote from the book? However,
> this comment was made by a person who's never worked for a daily
> newspaper!!!!

Hi Ted,
It is a quote from Ginzburg's preface. I'm sure it's an
after-the-fact-construction, but he says that it was the question he put
to himself as the red-thread of the project.

> Hell being published every day is a piece of cake for any newsphotographer
> as you're expecrted to produce material every day.... That's what we were
> paid  to do! And many are still paid to do so everyday right now around the
> world.  So it's no big deal.

I know Ted, I've been there, I've done that ... and almost got fired when
I "accidently" got lost on my way to covering a "socially high profile"
dinner out in the finer suburbs of Alton, IL for the Alton Telegraph. I
mean, that lady was so ugly that if I DID bring back a picture of her,
they would have fired me then for sure.

> If this is a comment from the book and means photographing something in New
> York every day for publication, that's really a piece of cake due to the
> population size and activities of the city.

I think Sonny had an interesting comment: he was freelancing ... and
besides, from what I understand, Ginzburg is a real New Yorker and this
was his celebration of his city.

> > Now ... we who are doing PAW:s ... the 'P' must stand for "pansies" :)<<<<
>
> Why? Not at all, as I'm positively amazed at the quality and quantity of
> photography produced by many on the list who aren't working photographers
> and still manage a picture -a-week while carrying on with your livelihood
> profession.

There was a smiley there Ted ... take a look at the Lika Leica in Sonny's
or Chris' hands ... it looks like an Olympus Epic by comparison. You think
I'd ever dream of calling those guys pansies ... without a smiley :)

I really enjoy the PAW's. There are some published on other lists ... a
lot of us cross-publish, but the best of the bunch are here on the LUG ...
with the exception of Graham, who left us.

> To all of those who partake in the PAW, it's a great big, "GOOD ON ALL OF
> YOU!" :-)

For my part, and if I dare even on behalf of those you refer to, ... a
sincere THANKS.

Daniel

Replies: Reply from "John Evensta" <jevensta@plateautel.net> ([Leica] More color photos)
Message from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] The real PAW inventor)