Subject: Re: [Leica] Freedom of the press? WAS (something else)
From: grduprey@rockwellcollins.com
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 09:15:15 -0600

Daniel

I may be a naive U.S. citizen, but I know of no situation where our
military "Targeted and Killed"  journalists on purpose.  The press
complained in the last war they had restrictions as to where they could go,
so this time the journalists were allowed to go where they wanted with the
caution that they were going into the line of fire and therefore could not
be protected.  Now it stands to reason that if you are on the battlefield
shooting photos or video and get in the way of fire you have a pretty good
chance of getting killed, by fire or bombs from one side or the other.  If
you want this kind of freedom you have to expect to pay the price, this is
a war situation and if you are there you have to take the responsibility
for your own safety.  If you are killed by getting in the way this is not
suppression of the press.

Gene

                      Daniel Ridings
                      <daniel.ridings@muspro.uio.n        To:       leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
                      o>                                  cc:
                      Sent by:                            Subject:  Re: [Leica] Freedom of the press? WAS (something else)
                      owner-leica-users@mejac.palo
                      -alto.ca.us

                      11/12/2003 05:54 AM
                      Please respond to
                      leica-users

> Daniel
>
> Press wise I guess we are dealing with things like the Iraq and
> Afghanistan issues - The press not being allowed to show pictures of any
> more couffins. Press being restricted by military rules etc.

Ruben, I think you're right. The rankings dropped from 2002 to 2003 for
the US because they started targetting and killing journalists in
Afghanistan and Iraq. The background information to the year 2003 explains
that. But the 32 ranking is for "internal freedom" ... the behaviour
outside the country dropped the US down to 165. I didn't cite those
numbers.

I was just addressing one naive comment about the freedom of the press.

Daniel

Replies: Reply from David Degner <david.degner@wku.edu> (Re: [Leica] Freedom of the press? WAS (something else))
Reply from Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com> (Re: [Leica] Freedom of the press? WAS (something else))