Subject: Re: [Leica] Journalism, altered photo's, and other ethical debates
From: "Slobodan Dimitrov" <s.dimitrov@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 15:40:40 -0800

My favorite image from one of these "pure photojournalists' dates back to
the first expedition of Bush I of Mesopotamia. A CNN camera is panning
across an expance and stops on this scene, in the background a number of
photographers are_directing_a soldier, with his black stick across his
chest, in front of a Humvee, or some such hybrid They  are angling for a
better shot and have the soldier move back and forth until they are
satisfied. Lo and behold, it is the cover shot of either Time or Newsweek,
can't remember which. Can't seem to recall anyone squawking about that bit
of direction back then.
The one that takes the cake has to be Greg Marinovich's scene in the Balkans
where he outright plagiarizes Smith's Wake, 1950, in Spain. He won a
Pukelitzer for that one, and no one complained.
Then there is always the PJ or DP who crosses lines and shoots for an NGO,
and for news publications. Where does that take us in this conundrum?
Slobodan Dimitrov

> I've been out of town and missed the follow-up discussion, but I agree,
> Don.  I defended Patrick on the NPPA list (he's one of the Observer's best
> photographers) and got jumped on for condoning manipulation of
> photographs....
      According to some of the opinions here, it would have been
      better for Patrick to move the firefighters to a place with a less
     cluttered background and repeat their hug of grief for the camera.