Subject: Re: [Leica] some new snaps, a propos
From: "Steve Barbour" <kididdoc@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 14:56:05 -0700

> At the risk of going on too much about, let me just be clear that I
don't
> mean to minimize the direness of the situation. I am thinking of the
last
> chapter of Kafka's America (der Verschollene - the Missing Person in
German)
> in which Karl Rossman finally finds his place in society (or at
least we
> assume he does because the novel was never finished) by enrolling
with the
> Nature Theatre of Oklahoma. Everyone has their place in the Theatre,
as a
> grocer, liftboy, European secondary school student, or whatever.
Pictures of
> the Theatre shown around at the celebration feast held after
recruitment
> show the White House - in other words, the real world. Similarly,
the
> (public) roles in palestine are well defined and palestinians,
soldiers,
> peace volunteers, TIPH and so on all play the roles assigned to
them. And
> the presence of the press on every street corner certainly makes
everyone
> feel they are on stage - there is a pervasive feeling of
performance. There
> are other Kafkian absurdities to the situation, of course, (what I
feel to
> be the more peripheral aspects of even Kafka's work like the
bureaucracy,
> etc.) but this is an aspect which struck me particularly strongly.
Strange
> that people can find their social identities - i.e. can resolve the
> condition of exile characteristic of nontraditional societies - so
strongly
> in a situation of continuous conflict. But maybe not so strange
after all.
- -- Rob

Hi Rob... sounds much like I figured....it's like gridlock, in part
cus... who wants to give up their job,  and have to find something
else to do...

yes a little smug, but people do get locked into their roles...  Steve

Message from "Rob Appleby" <rob@robertappleby.com> (Re: [Leica] some new snaps, a propos)