Subject: Re: [Leica] re: The Decisive Moment is gone
From: "Rob Appleby" <rob@robertappleby.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 15:58:40 +0100

I think any photojournalist who is honest about what goes on in conflict
areas, for instance, where clashes and riots are often "staged" in response
to the presence of the press, would disagree with you. And please don't tell
me that you've never asked someone to move aside to improve the light or the
picture in any number of ways. Well, maybe you haven't! But again, what we
are talking about here is method, not the picture. As an example, do you
really think Eugene Smith didn't very largely stage manage the picture of
the mourning women in his Spanish Village essay? Set up lights, ask people
to move aside so he could get a good view of the dead man as well as the
mourners? Or many others he took?

I know PJ's and documentarists are wedded to the idea of spontaneity and not
intruding (their idea of authenticity), but the real world of taking
pictures is just not like that. Of course, the members of a professional
association whose identity is founded on the projection of such a naive
ethos may well deny it.

Good photojournalists and documentary photographer take pictures that tell
the story - _their_ story - and how they go about it is irrelevant.

And of course, all you can ever document is your idea of what their lives
are.

- -- Rob

http://www.robertappleby.com
Mobile: (+39) 348 336 7990
Home: (+39) 0536 63001

All outgoing email scanned by
Norton AntiVirus (TM) 2003 Professional Edition.