Subject: Re: [Leica] Best M7 Fill Flash Survey
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2003 14:30:23 -0800

><Snip>
> The SF-20 meets all your needs except bounce. It's so small and light
>><Snip>
> Konerman's diffuser for the SF-20 is great too. It's always in my
> pack as well. If only the SF-20 bounced...
>
> Karen
>
> --
Could not one use the coiled cord Nikon or possibly others to make the
SF-20 a flash that can be aimed high or low, left and right, weave in
and out and make swooping passes at the subject at hand? I'm not kidding
such a technique is a wonderful thing, a winder helps as often the
pictures do not look the slight bit like the dreaded flash pictures so
many of us feel are totally un Leica like. Also if you're shooting a bug
on a flower (macro work) it's pretty much the only way to fly.

Think if it. Control not only of what the light is hitting but where the
light is coming FROM!
The obvious thing is to hold it high over your head making us think
that's where the light bulb is. Just aim it at the subject from high
high up. Just make sure your bursitis is not flaring up. Wear sweaters.

The say indirect lighting was the worst thing Frank Lloyd Wright ever
invented. I keep that in mind sometimes.

Silents star Mary Pickford invented the key light by insisting her
stand-in cameraman ducktape the light to the top of the camera lens or
at least the camera. Thereby helping her look 14 when she was really 40.
Every inch that light strayed from the camera lens is an inch she didn't
like. Her regular camera guy knew better. America was in love with their
little girl and she made millions. Direct lighting. On camera flash if
you will. No cord. No bounce.

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com