Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica M rewind gadget
From: John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 20:04:18 -0700

I have just received mine and I am taking it on a shoot tomorrow. I
will let you know how it goes when the film starts flying. Initial
impressions are positive. It fits well and does not stick up and catch
on things like the Wasserman crank does. I had a Wasserman crank and I
eventually took it off. There was too little clearance between the
crank and the top plate both when it was stowed and when you were
rewinding. The Leica crank has much more clearance and the spring
loaded knob helps keep it up off the top plate when rewinding. When it
is stowed it fits right to the contours of the body with only a small
smooth bump as the knob is only slightly higher than the top plate.

It is odd that it comes packaged like jewelry and the included
screwdriver is just plain loco. Sell it in one of the old plain white
boxes, lose the screwdriver and knock seventy bucks off the price.
Still it is the most functional one I have ever seen. I have also
ordered one of Stephen's Magnum knock offs to try as well. I know this
all sounds silly but without a rewind crank the M2 stays at home.

John Collier