Subject: Re: [Leica] The Decisive Moment is gone
From: "Rob Appleby" <rob@robertappleby.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 17:59:14 +0100

Well, I don't think it's such a bad thing that the putative transparency of
the documentary image is under debate. Bringing the hidden agendas behind
the use of photography out into the open and making them part of the image
could be a powerful critical strategy - and a useful corrective to more
naive views of what documentary/photojournalism is, IMO. It isn't really
such a straightforward world, is it.

John Brownlow's panoramas fall under this sort of approach, I think. So far
he hasn't used them to make any serious statement beyond very likeable
images - forgive me John, I haven't seen your new snaps for a while - but
they seem full of promise for a more articulate kind of photography.

- -- Rob

http://www.robertappleby.com
Mobile: (+39) 348 336 7990
Home: (+39) 0536 63001

All outgoing email scanned by
Norton AntiVirus (TM) 2003 Professional Edition.