Subject: Re: RE: Re: [Leica] Annie Leibovitz
From: "" <LEICA-USER@ispwest.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 19:04:43 -0800

See I appreciate this kind of sarcasm.
Although I can tell that BD is kinda, you know, jabbing at my little email, his three
questions were asked with a jab and a little respect..I can admire that.
Well BD, I am saying anyone of us like or hate Anne.  Furthermore, I would not want to
know that we are wasting any kind of physical energy writing about her on some chat  line
anywhere.

Secondly,  Although I am from Jamaica, I did not get around to smoking any of that good
stuff...not yet anyway.  But, how easy it is for us to just throw her photographs into the stock
image heap.  Are you saying that all Anne has ever shot are stock images and could not
be anything else to anyone.  The lay man picking up a picture, does not know that it was
shot by Anne, does not know what a stock image is, will they consider the image "jkust a
stock image?"  Or could they be touched by who  she shot and what the image is saying to
that particular person...I do not know...you tell me.  I have gone to people's homes and
seen prints of famous people on the wall, shot by different photographers and to them, it is
not just a commercial stock image..it sometimes serve as a way of getting close to their
celebs.  Hey a lot of people still have that famous  portrait of Jesus in their living room.
Now there is a stock image if ever there was one.

I am not trying to turn the world over on its axis.  To tell the truth, all I want is what
happened this Sept. 11.  A story I did two years ago about two mothers who lost their sons
on that fateful day has turned out to be a very beautiful thing in all our lives.  For one, they
feel that through my pictures families all over the world was able to read the stories and
see the portraits I did for AP.  As a result every anniversary, I will expect a call, and for as
long as I live I will be connected to these two families.  My pictures helped to put two
families together, and also helped to reach out to their families situated all over the US.
What did I change.  I changed my life for one.  And I was also told by the two families that
my pictures have helped them to see their boys stay alive or live in either books or the
other publications that have used the pictures.  I do not know but I humbly say that this is
how I expect my images to imapct the world.

Now how does Anne do the same.  If her portrait help someone to feel close to their
celebs then she has done something...this might be far reaching but in this pop culture of
ours, everything means something to the next man.